1. Facial moisturizers helps protect the skin from dryness
2. Some products may contain potentially harmful ingredients like retinoids
3. It is wise to avoid such products
4. Pregnant women can also choose herbal personal care products
Pregnancy comes with a range of physical and mental changes and skin is a major part of it. Though everyone become talkative about pregnancy glow, only a few are lucky enough to experience it while many go through a series of acne outbreaks and hyperpigmentation. Blame it on the hormonal fluctuations you experience in the first trimester of pregnancy.
But, through taking care of such small issues wisely, helps you remain better even in worst conditions. Amidst all these, debates are still on what all can be used for skin protection during pregnancy and what not to use.
When it comes to skin protection and nourishment during pregnancy, it is to be noted that blood circulation and hormone actions make your skin more sensitive. Hence, any product that you use for the good health of the skin can have unexpected reactions due to the sensitive skin. It is also evident that reactions to such cosmetic products will entirely be dependent on individual factors.
A moisturizer that felt better for you during pregnancy may be allergic for your friend. But, there are certain chemicals that are potentially harmful if absorbed by the skin. No researches prove without doubt about the reactions of those chemicals, but dermatologists around the globe feel it as unsafe.
Some of them are:
1. Retinoids (birth defects)
2. Mineral oils (cancerous)
3. Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) (cancerous)
4. Steroids (multiple-health defects)
Many personal care products that are available use the compounds above, and it is recommended not to use such products during pregnancy. Read the ingredients carefully and make your choice for the welfare of your baby.
Meanwhile, one can also try home-made moisturizer by mixing glycerin, rosewater and a little of the lemon juice. You can stay out of health risks by using such home-made ones. If not, it is advisable to choose herbal products of reliable brands. Even when you choose herbal personal care products, read the ingredients carefully and check for the expiry date.
There is no harm in using facial moisturizers or creams even in pregnancy if you choose it carefully. In case of doubts or any allergic reactions, consult a dermatologist. You can also ask for your doctor’s recommendations for the cosmetics to be used in pregnancy.
In order to keep the healthy condition of the skin:
1. Drink plenty of water
2. Eat fruits and vegetables
3. Use sunscreen lotion when you go out
4. Avoid exposure to higher temperature
5. Choose a moisturizer according to your skin
6. Choose natural oils like olive, almond and coconut oil as skin moisturizers preferably.