- There are different factors like age and genetics that can affect your chances of pregnancy
- Proper monitoring of the ovulation period helps you get pregnant
- Frequency of intimacy increases your chances of getting pregnant
- Pill and its effects may delay pregnancy
Becoming pregnant is a personal choice. Some may wait for a year or two after marriage, to establish a career first, some couples may have different opinions about parenthood. But pregnancy can be planned and even unplanned or unexpected.
Pregnancy is all about timing and luck. You need to figure out the perfect moment for the egg to meet its sperm. You can get pregnant in a year if you have unprotected sex on a regular basis. According to a study, 85 out of 100 couples conceive within a year. The frequency of ejaculation and intercourse is important. Studies show that the more you have sex, better your chances of getting pregnant.
Factors that affect the chances of conceiving:
Age is the most important factor for pregnancy because fertility begins to decline at the age of 35 years. And menopause strikes women by 50 years. According to a study, a woman over 40 has a better chance of conceiving with donor eggs i.e. surrogacy.
Genes play a major role in starting of periods, menopause and even fertility. Reproductive lifespan mostly depends on genes.
3. Hormonal changes
Hormonal imbalance leads to irregular periods and affects fertility. This affects the ovulation period and chances of conceiving. Infertility also happens due to ovarian cysts.
4. Gynecological problems
This includes any kind of damage to the reproductive organs due to injury or diseases in any of the couple like inflammatory diseases, endometriosis, etc. Structural abnormalities of the ovaries and the uterus can also hinder pregnancy.
Infertility also happens due to the intake of alcohol and tobacco smoking. They affect the hormonal levels. But these lifestyle factors effects are temporary and are reversible.
6. Weight issues
Being overweight or underweight, both affect the chances of pregnancy. Excess or even little body fat is directly related to infertility. Fertility can improve by healthy weight and by settling into a regular sleeping pattern.
7. Overuse of contraceptives
Usage of pills affects the menstrual cycle. A woman who use pills experience delay in conceiving because pills affect the ovulation period.
Before baby planning, the couple must have a healthy lifestyle and should follow some practices:
1. Get a pre pregnancy checkup done to know about being physically fit.
2. The birth control pills have a very high chance to reduce your fertility even after discontinuing its use.
3. Be healthy and maintain a safe weight to avoid complications for pregnancy. Obesity is considered to be a risk factor in pregnancy.
4. Engage yourself in exercises and physical activities.
5. Avoid stress and engage in activities like music, meditation or breathing exercises which soothe you. Being stressed hinders the process of conceiving.
6. Quit smoking and indulgence in alcohol or anything which affects the body health.
7. Daily intake of folic acid by the woman for a month.
It makes you sexually healthy enough to conceive and also prevents miscarriages.
8. Ensure you have regular menstrual cycles.
9. The best time to have sex for getting pregnant is during the ovulation period. Keep a check on the ovulation period with an ovulation app.
10. After sex, lie down for about 10-15 minutes. This aids in the movement of sperm entering the cervix to meet the egg. You should also avoid urinating soon after sex as the sperm flows easily.
11. Try different sex positions too and stick to the one which makes the couple feel good.
12. Healthy eating affects the sexual life. Consume proper vitamins, minerals, fats, and fibers to achieve a healthy and active body. PCOD and PCOS are common hormonal disorders caused due to unhealthy eating habits and stressful lifestyle.
Sex during the ovulation period has higher chances of pregnancy. If the periods are regular, you can calculate when you would ovulate.
- It is a good indication of ovulation if you notice a change in the cervical mucus, the discharge tends to be more slimy.
- The basal body temperature is elevated by half a degree during ovulation.
- Calculate your ovulation days when you are having plans for a baby. You can use a mobile app to track the ovulation days, or you can try the calendar method.
To calculate your fertile window:
If you have regular periods every month, your next period arrives in 28 days.
The fertile window lasts from 10th day to 18th day of the 28-day cycle. Day-1 being the first day of menstrual flow.
The ovulation takes place on day 14, and the most fertile days are day 12, 13, and 14. The probability of becoming pregnant is high if you have intercourse in these three days.
Exercises have a major impact on normal pregnancy:
- Workout increases energy levels and improves sleep
- Strengthens the muscles and gives high endurance power
- Reduce back pains
- Relieves constipation
- Exercises like breathing, walking, jogging and swimming fuel the heart and lungs as well as muscles. It improves blood circulation and increases muscle tone and strength.