Kiwifruit is an exotic fruit variety and belongs to the genus Actinidia. It was formerly known as Chinese berries, as it was found in abundance in China and was indigenous. Later countries like New Zealand and France took up its cultivation and marketed it as Kiwifruit.
The kiwi fruits are the berries from wood vines, and they exist in different shape, size, and color. It may trigger allergies in some people. But, the fruit is a rich source of nutrition and possess a unique flavor that grabbed the heart of people around the world.
Here are some of the benefits of Kiwifruit or Chinese berries:
1. Kiwi is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin E, folate, and potassium. It is also a powerhouse of antioxidants and a good source of fiber.
2. Fiber in the fruit maintains the digestive system, good for the heart and lowers the cholesterol levels.
3. Vitamin C works as an antioxidant, keeps the diseases away from the body. Vitamin K reduces blood clotting and absorption of vitamin D.
4. The potassium content in Kiwi keeps the body’s fluids and minerals in balance; it also controls the blood pressure. Less potassium in the body may lead to weakness, stroke or irregular heartbeats.
5. Folate is useful for pregnant women since it aids in the fetus development.
6. Kiwi also contains the omega 3 fatty acids, carotenoids, polyphenols, and promotes heart health.
7. Kiwi helps in burning calories. One small fruit just carries 46 calories. It is low-calorie food. Make a smoothie out of it by mixing it with mint leaves and strawberries.
8. According to a study, Kiwi protects the DNA cell from oxidative damages and this could help in preventing cancer.
9. Kiwi can be used as a marinade to tenderize meats since it contains an enzyme called actinidin.
10. According to a study, “kiwi fruit holds many medicinal compounds which include antioxidants and serotonin. They are beneficial for inducing sleep.”
11. Kiwi is alkaline in nature and acts with the effects of acidic foods. It is also good for skin. Vitamins C and E present in kiwi act as antioxidants and prevent skin degradation.
12. Kiwi contains a high amount of vitamin C and the antioxidants in it help treat people with wheezing and lung infections.
13. Eating can help flush out toxins from the human body since it is rich in fibers.
14. According to a study, since Kiwi contains high levels of Lutein and Zeaxanthin, having it reduces macular degeneration by 36%. Both of them are natural chemicals found in the human eye. Macular degeneration is the primary cause of vision loss in older people.
15. The anti-microbial and anti-fungal action helps in fighting the seasonal infections which hit the body.